Having bought my self lots of inks the other day I have had to make a layout using them and just so happened to have used fire colours. I used alcohol inks for the letters and distress inks for the paper. Not sure what else I am going to use yet it is still very much a work in progress.
The story behind the layout still makes me smile.
Because we were in Tanzania as missionaries we were often asked to preach. I am not a preacher and my Swahili was passable but no where near good so I declined every offer. One day after school I received a visit from the pastor of the church we went to when we lived in the village. We discussed when Peter and I would next be visiting. There were chunks of the conversation that I couldn't understand exactly but got the general impression that it was going to be a special service.
We turned up on the designated Sunday with a couple of ex-pats from town. As we had visitors with us it was likely that we would be expected to sit up the front with the pastor and so I checked with him where he wanted us to sit. He looked at me as if I had landed from Mars and said 'Up the front of course you are preaching'. Now I knew what the bit that I hadn't understood was and there was no way I could not do it. I had 20 minutes during the first bit of the service to prepare a sermon. I had Peter and my friend frantically looking up bible passages so that I could liberally read references and pad it out knowing that at least that bit was good Swahili. In hindsight it wasn't nearly so bad as I thought it would be and it was a very easy bible passage to talk on but I have never had the urge to repeat it.
The story behind the layout still makes me smile.
Because we were in Tanzania as missionaries we were often asked to preach. I am not a preacher and my Swahili was passable but no where near good so I declined every offer. One day after school I received a visit from the pastor of the church we went to when we lived in the village. We discussed when Peter and I would next be visiting. There were chunks of the conversation that I couldn't understand exactly but got the general impression that it was going to be a special service.
We turned up on the designated Sunday with a couple of ex-pats from town. As we had visitors with us it was likely that we would be expected to sit up the front with the pastor and so I checked with him where he wanted us to sit. He looked at me as if I had landed from Mars and said 'Up the front of course you are preaching'. Now I knew what the bit that I hadn't understood was and there was no way I could not do it. I had 20 minutes during the first bit of the service to prepare a sermon. I had Peter and my friend frantically looking up bible passages so that I could liberally read references and pad it out knowing that at least that bit was good Swahili. In hindsight it wasn't nearly so bad as I thought it would be and it was a very easy bible passage to talk on but I have never had the urge to repeat it.
What a fabulous story and great LO.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, that sounds like quite a challenge! Well done you.
ReplyDeletelove the colours of the layout and a great memory, maybe it was a blessing you couldnt understand some of the conversation- less time to panic :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Helen, sometimes the wait is the worst bit, well done though and a good memory to scrap.. x
ReplyDeleteI have the same fieryred dress. But I think there talking about nothing but our fashion - it is about preaching. We say -
ReplyDeleteFire, you follow me!
Great idea!