Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 256 Arms

One of the things we got used to in Tanzania was arms.  At first it was quite strange but by the time we returned to the UK I felt really insecure drawing money out of an ATM without an armed guard nearby.  One of the worst things was living in a house without a guard, having had a break in whilst in Tanzania because our guard was not there I associated no armed guard with burglary.
Our house guards would be armed with whatever their weapon of choice was.  For a lot of them this was a bow and arrow.  When we returned home I had to bring a souvenir of this home with me. Originally I had intended to use these two arrows to hang a picture on and so didn't get a bow to go with them.  The poor guard I asked to buy me just two arrows really thought that I had lost it, why would I want arrows without a bow.  He would have freaked even more if he had known the silly white woman only wanted them for decoration.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent!
    I think we need to make business cards with the inscription -
    We shoot for Suzie's 365 +1 Photo Challenge 2012
    and to give people who we shoot. They will not wonder what we do
    and why.
    cool darts - cool arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My God, I must be really overworked. Not only I didn't realize that arms could also be arms, but I first thought that you misread the word. I think I surely need an early night...

    Such a lovely story about buying arrows without the bow. Sometimes we all have a different logic.

    25 years ago I went to Hungary and there was this woman selling peanuts in a street and she wanted me to buy some, so I agreed to buy 1 pack. She said I was surely rich enough (compared to her) to buy 10 packs. I said "What do you want me to do with 10 packs of Peanuts ? " what was of course a rhetorical question. She said that's not the point. The point is that if you can afford to buy them there is no reason not to buy them. xx























    ReplyDelete
  3. everyone has been very clever with their arms, what a great idea you had- they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea for arms and an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea for prompt and always nice to get insight into other people's experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great 'arms 'story!! Love hearing these stories too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them all.