Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 104 Petal

Today has been a more relaxing day for me today.  A little bit of housework and then the rest of the morning playing with some digital designing.  I have just put the bread for rolls in the bread-maker and in a few minutes will start my usual Friday bake which I love doing.
So for Petal, to be honest I couldn't be bothered to go into the garden so I used this little dried rose that is in my craft room.
While living abroad we attended an official opening where the prime minister was the guest of honour.  Flowers were flown in at great expense from the north of the country.  At the same time locals were living in poverty and staff were being treated like dirt and the whole event stuck in my throat.  At the end of the day as the 'staging' was being dismantled I saw the flowers lying on the ground withering in the heat.  The show was over and no one cared.  I picked up a small bunch and dried them at home.  The snob in me calls them my roses for the prime minister while another part of me grieves for the waste which still continues.

3 comments:

  1. My in laws lived abroad for many years and tell similar tales. The prime minister went from riding a bicycle to travelling in a Rolls Royce with money destined to help the people in real need.

    It's lovely that you dried the flowers and preserved them! It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same kind of experience in Kenya, Alison. During our time there, it was a holiday of some sort. In this small and poor village close to Mombasa the inhabitants were along the road with a small Kenyan flag. The police even took the prisoners out, they were all chained together with big netal balls attached to their feet and they were given a flag too. Then some massive shiny black Mercedes appeared and everybody was waving the flag. One car passed by very close to us and there was this obese fat guy, smoking the biggest cigar I've ever seen and looking at people with such contempt, I thought I was going to be sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have some dried flowers from my wedding bouquet. I'm glad you rescued some of the flowers at least they weren't all wasted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them all.

You might also like....