Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 43 From My Past

I love the past and am the family hoarder of old things, but today had to be my past.  I remember as a young child my mother had a beautiful doll on top of her wardrobe.  I was the first girl in the family for a while and she was a present from a great aunt who had made all the delicate clothes herself.  Every now and then Mum would take to box down and I would be allowed to peer in at the doll, dressed in pale pink and white lace trimmed clothes, she was perfect but I always knew that I couldn't have her until I was old enough to look after her properly.
When I eventually got her I must have played with her but it is the years when I was too old to really play with her that I remember.  I loved her and at the age of 11 or 12 would push her around the streets in my old push chair.  I cringe now to think how immature I was!  By this time tiny tears had been invented and I longed for one but instead I would feed her and then remove her leg to shake the food out.  Her hair is moulded plastic but her eyelids would shut when laid down at the same time as her tongue would go to the back of her mouth, sit her up and her eyes opened and tongue came forward.  I loved her so much that she came with me when I left home.
Since then neighbours children have played with her and when we went abroad I couldn't put her into storage instead a friends daughter looked after her for me.  Now she sits in my craft room waiting for the time when my niece may want to play with her.
This is my Louise

 I managed to find the Christmas photo of me and my brother the year I got her.  You can just see her leg sticking out behind my brothers head and behind me is the box she came in.

View my craft blog

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story. Apparently I was a horror with dolls- I cut their eyelashes and their hair and the most expensive doll I had I managed to pull the arms and legs off aswell! My caring side had developed a bit by the time I had the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your doll I do hope your niece will want to play with her. your Chhristmas photo brings back old memories of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a beautiful story and it pulled out so many memories in me. I loved my dolls too. I had my last one I was 13 as my grandmother tried to convince me that it was really time to stop playing with dolls!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them all.