Saturday, October 13, 2012

Days 285 to 287

Day 285
I didn't really think about this word at all on the day.  In the afternoon we had a service of thanksgiving for the life of a friends daughter.  She dropped dead for no apparent reason in her early 20s.  It was a beautiful service full of thanks for a beautiful girl and lots of laughs as her family remembered her in poem and stories.  While as Christians we were certain that she is in a better place it still left us feeling shocked and saddened.  In the evening I had loads of things to get ready for school.  We had had lunch out before the service so just had a sandwich in the evening.
Thinking about the prompt today I decided to go along the line of either dreams and hopes for the distant future or memories of the distant past.  Well this photo isn't a memory but it is definitely distant past.  The bible which was given to my 2x great grandfather on his wedding day.  It marks the time that the family name settled on Coppen as noted on my great grandmothers details on the right hand page.  Before then in parish records it had ranged from Coppin (as noted on the first inscription on the left)  to Copping and Coppen.
Day 286 Architecture
Another busy day at school and a disastrous baking afternoon so I was in no mood for photographs.  This morning I opened the bedroom window and took this photo of some flats over the other side of the valley.  When we first moved in there were jsut trees there but the need for cheaper housing caused these to be built and to be honest we don't even notice them now.

 Day 287
While the window was open I took this shot of our quiet street on a chilly Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. very interesting about the family name. lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic that you have those family records. It is very frustrating sometimes that names keep changing, but it is because there wasn't much reading and writing then.
    How sad about the friends daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your street looks out onto the countryside with some hills and meadows, it's just lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss, what a shocking thing to have to deal with.

    Yes, family name changes are confusing, our family had a penchant for calling all their children the same first name Elizabeth or Thomas which has caused my Mum no end of mischief :)

    Great photos, your road looks lovely and peaceful xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them all.