Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 92 Costume

My first thought is what is the difference between costume and uniform?  I'm still not sure but they both signify belonging to a group through the clothes you wear.
While we were in Tanzania a very definite way of belonging to the community was to wear local fabrics and each time we came back to the UK I brought a bit of it with me.  It was quite a surprise when we returned for good and I found out just how much of the fabric I had stored in the loft over the years .  Here is a very small selection of my fabric.

Since we have been back it has been used as curtains, seat covers and a table cloth as well as for embellishments on scrap pages.  In Tanzania it was a common present which was presented with much ceremony, as for those who had little the fabric for a new outfit was a real treat.
The first photo below is of Peter and I draped in local fabric which we had been presented with in a church service as a farewell gift when we moved from the village into the town.

The next picture is also a farewell one.  This time of me saying goodbye to the primary children I taught in the town, before we came back in 2009 for Peter to get medical treatment.  This time you can see the fabric stitched into a suit.


View my craft blog

6 comments:

  1. Such wonderful pictures and memories !

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely material and so nice to be presented with it, gorgeous bright colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memories. I'm especially drawn to your story as my son is off to Tanzania in July to spend a month volunteering at a school out there and it's great to see some photos. I wonder if he will end up anywhere near where you were? He will be based near Arusha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi debs, no we were in Dodoma which is about 12 hours drive form Arusha. Although it is technically the capital there isn't much there so not many people visit. Hope he has a great time it is a beautiful country.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful fabric I am envious. you story is so interesting, thankyou for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabrics there and what a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them all.