Well the sun shone brightly today and I got our vegetable patch dug. Last year we had a very small area where we grew herbs and over the winter we laid old carpet over the bit of grass next to it. Today when I lifted the carpet all the grass had died and I was left to turn over some relatively weed free soil. It's probably more domesticated than wild but here is our still small vegetable plot.
When we first planted the garden 20 years ago we planted a section with shrubs in order to encourage wildlife, this has now matured into a lovely little wild corner.
When we first planted the garden 20 years ago we planted a section with shrubs in order to encourage wildlife, this has now matured into a lovely little wild corner.
Thinking that I had done all the wild in the garden I started coming back indoors and passed our little wild strawberries. We never get enough for a meal but they are really great little sweet snacks when we are working in the garden.
Tomorrow is my birthday and so I have made cake to take into school. I based it on my mothers recipe for chocolate tiff in which came out of the Jimmy Young cookbook in the 60's or 70's. I our house this was known as Mr Ross cake because it was the favourite cake of the builder of our house extension who was called Mr Ross. But today I went wild with it and added marshmallows, maltesers and white chocolate buttons. I once saw a Delia Smith programme where she said that with all the lovely ingredients she was cooking with the result just had to be good. Hope this is the case with my wild chocolate tiffin. Just as I was putting the cut cake back in the fridge I dropped the tin, it looks as if it has survived, thank goodness.
View my craft blog
Oooh- think I'd be wild about the chocolate tiff! I am sure my mum had that Jimmy Young cookbook- wonder whether she still has it. Must take a look next time I visit!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely birthday tomorrow.
Happy birthday in advance. Your cake looks yummy. Now that I started buying books on controlling my diet . . .
ReplyDeletecan i have the recipe please. happy birthday for tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteYummy. have a good day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteYour veg patch is bigger than ours so I hope you get some great veg from it this year. I would like to dig up our grass but Roland is reluctant at the moment. your wild corner looks really interesting
ReplyDeleteI forgot to say Happy Birthday for tomorrow
ReplyDelete